Summer ice cream recipe alert!
This simple, non-fried version of a classic fried ice cream dessert features our chili-spiked The Spicy candied pecans and the inimitable crunch of crisp cereal, cinnamon, and butter. It's the perfect refreshing, frozen, and decadent summer treat!
This recipe is quick, easy, and very delicious! It can serve a crowd of 6-8 or be halved/quartered for smaller servings.
The Spicy Fried Ice Cream
- 4 cups corn flakes cereal
- 2 cups rice crispies cereal
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup finely chopped chili-spiked The Spicy candied pecans
- Premium vanilla ice cream, well frozen but soft enough to scoop (approx. 32 oz)
Toppings – use some or all!
- honey or agave
- chocolate fudge sauce
- sweetened whipped cream
- cherries (fresh or maraschino)
- Crush cereal: Pour both cereals into a gallon-size resealable bag, seal bag and then use a rolling pin to crush into small bits.
- Saute cereal and cinnamon in butter: Melt butter in a nonstick 10-inch fry pan over medium heat. Stir in crushed cereal and cinnamon and increase heat slightly.
- Cook mixture, stirring constantly until golden brown and fragrant (color will deepen and begin to smell lightly toasty and cereal should be crisp), about 2 minutes.
- Add The Spicy candied pecans to warm mixture after removing it from heat.
- Let mixture cool: Remove from heat, pour mixture in a shallow dish and allow to cool.
- Shape ice cream: Remove ice cream from freezer, scoop out desired serving size (6-8 servings) and shape into balls with clean hands, or use food-service gloves to keep hands from melting ice cream.
- Roll ice cream in mixture: Immediately drop shaped ice cream balls into mixture and roll to evenly coat, while pressing around outer surface for an even coating.
- Let set: Freeze for 10-15 minutes to re-solidify ice cream, keep frozen until ready to serve.
- Drizzle with honey or agave, warm chocolate sauce, top with whipped cream and a cherry to serve!
(Can be prepared vegan and/or gluten-free by using non-dairy ice cream, gluten-free cereal, vegan butter, vegan whipped topping.)