Comfort food meets sweet heat in this cheesy, savory recipe developed by Fortune Favors founder (and world class chef), Eric Rupert! Along with his James Beard Award-winning restaurant career and his time running state of the art culinary programs at Epic Systems, Chef Eric has been making candied pecans to use in his recipes for more than 15 years. You get to share in the bounty that he has created with this grits recipe featuring The Spicy candied pecans!
This recipe comes together in 30 minutes and serves 4-6 as a side dish.
Sharp Cheddar Grits with Bacon, Scallions, and The Spicy PecansIngredients
- 1/2 pound apple or cherry wood smoked bacon, cooked until just crispy, roughly chopped
- 3 T. butter
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups water
- 2 t. kosher salt
- 1 cup grits, preferably stone ground
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces Wisconsin sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 ounces Fortune Favors The Spicy candied pecans, chopped just a little
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add the onions, stirring occasionally until the onions are soft. Add the milk, water and salt and bring to a boil.
Slowly whisk in grits. Bring back to a boil and turn down to a simmer, stirring very often until it thickens. Remove from heat. Stir in bacon, cheese and scallions.
Place in large serving bowl or individual bowls. Sprinkle liberally with the lightly chopped The Spicy candied pecans.
Serve right away. Great as a side dish to a pork or chicken entree!