Here in Wisconsin, the holiday season has finally arrived. Fall is here, and more importantly football season! If you live in Wisconsin, whether you're a football fan or not, you've probably been to your fair share of watch parties. While I'm certainly a big football fan, what I really look forward to is delicious, home cooked potlucks with my loved ones.
One of my all time favorite game day potluck foods is chili. We're talking red chili, white bean chili, vegetarian chili. I'm not biased, they're all delicious, hearty, and deeply satisfying on any chilly afternoon (pun absolutely intended).
This Butternut Squash and The Spicy Chili certainly meets my standards for a good chili and happens to be vegan, easy to make, and, as a bonus, uses seasonal produce!
Pro tip: Our 2lb bags of The Spicy pecans are perfect for adding to recipes!
- 2 Tbsp. pecan or olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped (white and green parts separated)
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, chopped
- 2 lb. butternut squash, cubed into ½ -inch dice
- ¼ cup Fortune Favors The Spicy chili-spiked pecans, chopped
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground chipotle
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 (15 ounce) cans beans (such as Kidney, Pinto, Black Bean) rinsed and drained
- 3½ cups water
- ½ cup vegan sour cream
- Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic and green onion whites. Cook, stirring, until onions start to soften, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the celery and red bell peppers. Cook, stirring, 4 to 5 minutes more.
- Add the butternut squash, the chopped Fortune Favors The Spicy, tomato paste, ground cumin, ground chipotle, chili powder and salt.
- Stir in the beans and the water. Increase the heat to high, bring to a heavy simmer, then
- Reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is fork-tender for 10 to 15 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired.
- Top with sour cream and green onion greens. Enjoy while watching your favorite team!
For more amazing Nutkrack-inspired recipes, subscribe to our mailing list!
Adapted with permission from Recipes | ILovePecans