I inherited my deep love for rhubarb from my mom, who always doubled the amount of rhubarb she used in pies, jams, crisps, and cobblers. I love the tart flavor that still keeps some of its tart after adding sugar. As an adult, I’ve even tried rhubarb sour beers and rhubarb crumble ice cream! But nothing compares to my mom’s rhubarb crisp. Enjoy her original recipe, adapted to include the tastiest candied pecans you'll ever have! :)
- 4-5 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, diced
- 1 tbsp flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- Optional: 1 cup strawberries or other berries
- 6 tbsp butter, chilled and roughly chopped
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
¼ cup Fortune Favors The Classic, coarsely chopped (plus more for topping)
Nothing like the deep red and green color of fresh rhubarb from the backyard!
- Mix together fruit, flour, and sugar and pour into an 8x8 pan. If using additional fruit, add a bit more sugar.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients (except Fortune Favors pecans) in a food processor until it resembles small chunks.
- Add chopped Fortune Favors and stir into mixture with a spoon.
- Sprinkle mixture evenly into pan on top of rhubarb mixture.
- Bake 55-60 minutes or until rhubarb is soft and bubbling.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and top with more Fortune Favors! (Serves about 6.)
^Mama Jenny's original recipe!